Sunday, November 28, 2010

HP7 - Deathly Hallows Part 1

There are different kinds of people in this world.  Some of them have bad taste in music.  Some have bad taste in books.  Others have the palate of a 5 year old. Still others have bad taste in movies. 

The definition of bad taste varies depending on who is perceiving whatever taste is in question.  I will be the first to own up to my need for epics, fantasies, and campy science fiction in film and television.  I can hear the sigh of disdain when my addictions come up in casual conversation, which they frequently do because of the rise in popularity of fantasy and sci-fi in Young Adult fiction.  It's true, I did a Buffy marathon.  I watched Ghost Whisperer religiously on cable reruns.  I did watch the Twilight saga (Okay, but half of the reason for that was because of the naked boys, I'm sorry.  It's totally true. I couldn't stand the whining of Bella after book three and never read book four.).  When Star Trek came out with the Next Generation, growing up, I was sitting there on the carpet with my dad watching that too.  So it's no wonder that I had to see all of the Harry Potter flicks in the theater, after all, I read and own all the books

Unfortunately, the books are detailed.  This inherently means that 3 hours is never enough to capture all the details of the story.  Movies are interpretations of their book selves.  For those who just watched them and didn't read, that sucks, because the books are awesome.  Well, I mean, I like them better.  Still, for the most part, Warner Brothers has done a fairly good job with the movies.  Yes there were changes, but all in all, the film interpretation kept the spirit of the books, which ultimately, is as good as you can hope to get.  Having a great cast doesn't hurt either. Yet even with all this in mind, I found myself disappointed with the Deathly Hallows.

Maybe it was because of the role of Dobby in the movie versus the book.  Maybe I wanted more development of the struggle Harry had choosing between the horcruxes and hallows or the tension between Ron and Hermione.  Maybe it had something to do with the cut off place between Part 1 and 2 (which while necessary if WB wanted to get all the details in the movie, is irritating to anyone who read the books and wants to see the rendition of the next plot point).  Then again, some characters just materialized out of thin air and others seemed to be erased, as is often the case with books turned into movies.  It's irritating enough to make me wonder if I even want my someday published works turned into movies....  Nah, I think I'll live.  In the mean time, I'll smolder over Part 1 and reserve final judgment for the battle of Hogwarts in Part 2.  I guess we'll just have to wait until summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment