Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Confessions of Writer's/Life Block

I have great ideas.  I have them all the time.  I have a new idea of a thing I could do probably once an hour.  The problem is implementation.  I hate all the nitty gritty parts of implementing a thing.  I really need someone else to do that.  I have so many business ideas and visions about how great things will be, and I have no one who can help me bring them to fruition.  I'm not even sure I want to bring them to fruition.  For example, I walk down the street in downtown Hayward and I see these empty store fronts.  I look at them and see the potential of the place and I want to buy them.  I want to buy them all.  I want to buy them and put amazing businesses in them which would help gentrify this place.  I know that sounds horrible, the last bit, but that's what I see in my head, these beautiful signs on the front and interesting things in the windows.  But I can't buy or lease one of those store fronts.  I don't know if I'm even going to be in this spot for 2 years.  But if I'm not, what will I be doing? I have the urge to start a business, but I need to focus on the the book.  Ah yes, the book.

That may have been the hardest thing to do, just to start writing this book, and then to keep going.  It's actually one of the scariest things I've ever done (not the just the hardest), and it's one of the easier ones I could do (out of my scary ideas).  I'm at a point where I am losing motivation.  You can tell by the decreasing number of times I post my word count.  It's embarrassing.  I want to post a word count, but I can't bring myself to work on this project which is becoming harder and harder for me to do.  Now I'm spending most of my writing time on this blog, which isn't a bad thing, but I could certainly do better with spending at least a little time working on this goofy book. It's not goofy, it's good, but I've gotten to a part in the story which depresses me.  It's difficult to write about something so depressing.  Maybe upsetting is a better word for the moment in the plot.  Maybe I'm just impatient to have the whole thing done.

It doesn't help that everything else is at a stand still.  Perhaps that's a good metaphor for life.  That and this laptop is causing my wrists to get a little sore with all my typing.  That's what I do all day.  I need to do something else.  That's why I think I need to have a job that doesn't involve computers or writing... most of those are not exactly top payers, but it would definitely be an improvement.  I think it's time to do some art, if only for a break from the computer.

Incidentally, if you have any ideas about jobs for me or know any contacts in East Bay, please send them my way.  Right now I like the idea of working for a boutique lingerie shop (though I'm scared of fitting ladies into bras just a little bit), an organic/natural soap shop (which I can find nothing bad about), or a tea shop (a place where things would be sold not served if you know what I mean).  Remember, I'm looking for part time.  All suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment