Friday, October 15, 2010

Rally the troops! - A Green Offensive

Once upon a time I cared too much.  It made me sad.  So I shut myself off from the world.  Then I learned you could make yourself angry instead of sad, so I tried that.  It still made me feel badly about the state of the world.  So I shut myself off from it once again.  The end.

That would be the short journey of my life in activism.  When you feel things so deeply, it is difficult.  It's difficult to contain the passion (in the true sense of the word) you experience.  That's how I feel when I watch documentaries like "Who Killed the Electric Car?"

It is difficult for a person to have faith in people when so many of them are driven by basal needs like money, power, and sex - so much so other things cease to matter.  All of these things involve the need to possess... to own... to have... to continually feed an addiction.  Don't get me wrong, I like things too.  But isn't there a way to have things that make you feel good in more than one way? Can't you derive pleasure from a thing because of what it does not just for you but for the world? For your neighbor? The electric car is an example of all these things.  It is something completely self contained.  It cuts off dependency from foreign oil. The thing was killed by a combination of big interests, but I won't spoil the documentary for you.

Watching the documentary it broke my heart... somewhat like my crying cat does when she wants new water or more food.  That might sound callous, but I really love my cat and in her defense, she can sound incredibly pitiful.  Okay, but seriously, it did break my heart and make me angry all at once.  It is the actions of government agencies and corporate entities that make me lose hope in our future.  Pollution is profitable.  Consumption is profitable.  In the short term.  But I wish people had a little bit longer range of vision.  Pollution really isn't all its cracked up to be.  I generally like having lesion free lungs having watched two grandparents suffer increasingly from emphysema. I get irritated enough with my low grade allergies, thank GOD I don't have asthma like so many young people in LA. 

So what is a girl supposed to do? Whatever she can.  Reuse, reduce, recycle and hopefully calm down.  If I can't rely on the government to help me, I guess I'll just have to do it myself. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment