Monday, September 13, 2010

Observe...A Study in Human Character

One of the things writers get to do, and many take great delight in, is to observe people.  A writer is fundamentally a student of human character.  From clothes and how a person wears their hair to how they take their coffee, every piece of them reflects their personality (or lack thereof).  I used to say, when I was younger and thought I was smart, that you could tell a lot about a person by how they take their coffee (tea drinkers, humor me for the duration of this limited metaphor).  When someone volunteered the information, I would use gleaned pieces of pop psychology to dissect their preferences. 

Let me use myself as an example.  I like black coffee, a strong dark roast for a daily drink.  Very rarely I will get a drink like a latte. More often, if I can, I will get a double con panna which is a double shot of espresso with whipped cream on top.  What does that mean? Well I don't like bullshit.  I like life to be shown to me exactly how it is most of the time, and I don't want the frothy window dressing.  I don't want it dumbed down and I DO want people to be completely honest with me.  Sometimes, if I'm in a mood, I do need a little froth. What I like better though, is the balance between frothy sweetness and the dark bitter reality. 

Now that I'm older I know it's not just coffee. It's everything.  I think about this a lot when I make a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich.  I am particular about my food and PBJs are no exception. I have to start with at least a stone ground whole wheat bread.  White, rye, potato, pumpernickel, sourdough, or even a crusty bread are unacceptable.  The peanut-butter should be crunchy, but I can make do with smooth if need be.  The organic unpasteurized stuff just isn't for me. My jelly shouldn't be a jelly at all.  Rather I prefer a preserve or a jam that has a high fruit content.  Possible flavors can be raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, or mixed berry.  I have been known to choose an apricot every now and again, but rarely.  Never ever can I have grape jelly.  It seems like a silly thing to think about, but clearly I am a food snob.  Who does that for their PBJs? Not my husband.  He would be happy with white bread, whatever peanut-butter available, and just regular grape jelly.  Christian is somewhere between a hoover and a 9 year old boy.  He's always hungry because he wrenches, and he doesn't have sophisticated food needs.  In fact, he has simple needs.  When I try to steer our bread buying towards the most whole grain I can possibly find, he asks, "But what will I eat?!"

Those are the things that reflect a person.  It is the summation of all those little quirks and habits that make a good and complete character.  Whether a writer chooses to divulge the character completely or not, is entirely up to the writer and the nature of the story.  So now that I have eaten my foodie PBJ and have moved on to a cup of my dark French roast, I'll go on to develop some characters.

2 comments:

  1. Would you be able to tell a few things about me?
    I like French Roast, which I can have at home or pick up at Circle K. I like a good amount of half and half. I don't want flavored creamers, Coffeemate, or the WORST - powdered creamer of any kind.
    Pekoe tea - not going to discuss herbal teas here - I like the half and half, but I add one teaspoon of sugar or Splenda.
    PBJ - I like the 9-grain bread, but usually don't eat the crusts. I LOVE crunchy, but creamy would be a distant second. Jelly? NO. None of it. No jam, no preserves. When I was about ten (in 1969), my folks bought a jar of peanut butter mixed with jelly. It was FOUL. Yeah, not gonna pick the jelly out of that. Forget it altogether.
    I have to think about other quirks regarding food and drink. You got me to think. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it sounds to me like you're picky about your dreams - the things you let shape your reality. You only like specific types of fluff. Not any kind of spin will do for you. My guess is you don't watch Fox news. :-D

    ReplyDelete