Sunday, September 12, 2010

We Live in The Future

I'm going to reveal a new level of dorkiness to you.  Be prepared! Though after the elaboration of my paranormal vice, I doubt this will astonish you in the least.

One of Christian and my favorite phrases ever is "We live in the future!!!"  When Obama was elected to the presidency, we shouted that phrase giddy with post-election glory.  See, most movies taking place in the future have a president of another gender or color than 'white man.'

When we first got our G1s we made that comment. We had the power to search anything and everything in our denim butt pocket thanks to our Google overlords' re-imagining of personal communication devices.

Then of course, you have the amazing machine that converts plastic back into oil.  That solves about 80 billion problems right there!  Let's go harvest the bag monstrosity in the middle of the ocean and get us some car moving fuel!  Maybe even something that could somehow magically fix my car... the possibilities are endless!

So it came as no surprise that both Christian and I were blown away by a new amazing invention.  Having watched all the Star Wars movies and most of the Star Trek movies as well as shows, there is a certain allure to space travel and all the associated gear.  Well ladies and gentlemen, we now have TRACTOR BEAMS!! WOOHOO!! Okay they don't work in space, and they can only move very small objects several meters but STILL! Again, the possibilities, endless!

We live in a time where the sci-fi writings of the mid-20th century have or are becoming a reality.  The more we imagine, the more we dream, the more possibilities exist.  Hell, even the 3D TVs from Sony are kinda cool, despite the fact it makes me think I would be doing a time warp to 1985 in my living room.  Who cares? Screw polarized lens. RED AND BLUE GLASSES FOREVER!

Part of me thinks these things are absolutely amazing, and simultaneously I wonder what direction they will necessarily force our world to take.  I think of the changes in language the best example showing this in a song by Daft Punk.  When your words change, so does your way of thinking, your reality, your experience.  Part of me wants to hole myself up in a small stone cottage on a windy green isle off the coast of Ireland while the world fast forwards around me.  The other part wants to be in the middle of it, and in some ways I already am.  After all, I do live next door to Silicon Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment