Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cleansed - Taking out Sugar and Caffeine

For those of us with the automatic drip feeding us a steady intake of caffeinated beverages, it seems heretical to wake up naturally.  But as evidenced by our adrenal glands, if its possible to wake up naturally we should.

As part of my "get healthy" plan, I have recently done something I never thought I would be able to do.  I stopped drinking any kind of caffeine.  Yes, occasionally I do eat a bit of chocolate.  But you know what? I don't really miss it.  The only thing I find myself craving is diet soda, but even then I think its more about the bubbles and the sweet flavor than it is the caffeine.

In an effort to be good all the way around, I decided to limit my sugar intake even more than I already had.  This means I've taken out a lot of simple carbs - though I am the first to admit I'm having a hard time replacing them with complex ones.  It also means I'm trying to take out foods that include a lot of added sugar and replacing them with fresh fruit.  I'm particularly enjoying the fresh strawberries available right now!

It's not an easy thing to make these dietary changes, but it's a lot less difficult than I imagined.  My body feels better in every way.  Something I notice when I eat bad or imbalanced meals is I literally feel sick.  Caffeine would screw up my sleep habits.  Now that I'm eating tons of veggies, fruits, and lean meats, I have more energy. Maybe that's because I'm able to sleep a full night without waking sometime around 2 am (which had been a long standing issue for me).  Since I'm not up on stimulants, I don't crash in the middle of the day like I used to and I love it.

You have to decide that you want to make these kinds of changes.  Switching your soda for Perrier isn't something that will appeal to everyone, but it makes kicking the bad habit a lot easier.  Eventually, the craving for sweet soda will pass. By that time, you'll already be more than half way to a new healthier you. I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment