Monday, July 25, 2011

Bring It! - Starting P90X

Okay, so like hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of Americans, I have drunk the Kool-Aid. I bought P90X and I got the gear necessary to complete the program. I bought the goofy thing for a few reasons.

  1. I feel better when I'm physically active and apparently I like an ass-kicking when it comes to a work out.
  2. I spend way too much time on my duff working online and writing my books.
  3. I want to be healthier and more physically fit.
So I completed the requisite fitness test. Honestly, I thought I would fail it. I didn't think I would be able to complete a pull-up, having never done one before in my life. Keep in mind, growing up, I was the kid who couldn't climb a rope, never did a push-up, and was almost always last picked in gym. Of course, I did work out pretty heavily while living in East Bay. But even still, the summer made me lazy. I didn't think I would be able to even start the program.

 Except, then I passed the fitness test with flying colors. I was actually able to do everything and then more. It was a surprising place in which to find myself - the bookworm art kid being able to do better than minimum on a physical test. This got me pumped.

So today when I did my first workout (I'm following the 'Lean' program. For those of you familiar with P90X, you know this is heavy on cardio and light on resistance). Core Synergistics was intense. I didn't finish every exercise and I didn't use any weights today. Still, my abs were exhausted and my glutes are sore. It's been a while since either of those things have been true from exercises. Needless to say, I was psyched as I downed my protein shake this morning.

I've seen a lot of people post negative reactions to the program, as well as plenty of success stories. Hopefully I feel just as pumped at the end of the week as I do today, and again at the end of the month. My long term plan is to complete each of the 90 day variations starting with Lean, going on to Classic, and rounding it out with Doubles. We'll see how the first run through works. My first goal is to finish all the exercises in each work out. Each step brings me closer. Here's hoping it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment