Saturday, November 19, 2011

Basque Food - A Bad Idea - Adventures in Bako

Okay people. I don't know whose bright idea it was to conspire against unsuspecting newbies, but it's not cool. I am here to attest to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Bakersfield Basque food sucks.

If you want overcooked vegetables, cold spaghetti, unsalted over fried french-fries, rubbery shrimp, and chilled cheap wine, then by all means, go eat Basque. I personally don't want to pay $20 a plate for parmesan cheese from a Kraft cheese container on my pasta.Even the flan was rubbery and flavorless. This, my friends, is impressive. The level of fail was so complete, it was unbelievable. I would NEVER EVER take a friend to a Basque restaurant. And this, is not even discussing the amazing and infamous pickled cow tongue. Yeah. Try and imagine if freshwater eel, vinegar, and rotting beef were put together. That is the texture and flavor. So if you're into that, sure - eat it. But for my part, I'll stick to steakhouses.

I am warning you so you don't make the same mistake I did. Don't believe the people who say this thing is so delicious. It's just not true. You'd get higher quality and better prepared food at a steakhouse. Honestly.

And guys, we went to the BEST Basque restaurant, supposedly, in Bakersfield. We went to Wool Growers.  This is the place Barbara goes to when she comes to town. In fact, she comes to Bako specifically for this restaurant. I guess when you have millions of dollars, paying $20 for bizarre less than diner quality fare doesn't bug you. For me, I'd rather go elsewhere.

So, for the love of GOD, don't do it. Just don't. It's not worth it. Unless you have Monopoly money.

No comments:

Post a Comment