Saturday, June 30, 2012

Girls can do anything you can do better...

I read this article, 7 Ways You're Hurting Your Daughter's Future - Forbes and was amazed. It explained so much.
Some might think I mean I understood why I wasn't as successful, or behaved like a doormat. This however, is the exact opposite.
When I was little, my mother insisted on giving me blocks and Legos. I only got pink or purple frilly things when I asked for them. As it was, I had a painting easel, countless creating tools, and as I got older, I even had science kits. Since I loved learning, I had a subscription to Kids Discovery Magazine and shelves upon shelves of books.
I remember when I played with Barbies (even the odd alien proportioned kind!), my princesses didn't wear dresses. Well, okay, they did sometimes. But more often they wore catsuits that were comfortable and flexible. That way they could run through my make believe forests, hunt, help those in need, and most importantly save the prince. My princes were always useless in comparison to my princesses. They constantly got lost, frequently had the wool pulled over their eyes by the bad guy, and inevitably worshipped my well-rounded super heroine.
Now, I'm not saying my childhood was the marvel of gender equality. My father and mother battled their own gendered perspectives before my eyes and some of that rubbed off on me. That said, I am pretty sure that if I want something, I can have it. Yes, it may take me a little time. I may have to make a few sacrifices or change some habits. Still, that is one thing my parents told me I could do - anything.
Now, I'm not getting carried away here. I don't mean that I expected to be a linebacker for the Steelers. But, if I wanted to be the CEO of a company, I could. If I wanted to be a famous actress or musician, I could. If I wanted to change the face of politics, I could. It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with desire (and a smidgen of inherent ability!).
It's because of my own experience that I am determined. I am determined to make sure when I become a parent I won't fall into the gender gap. I may have some shaky moments. Likely I'll battle my own gender demons in front of those poor kids. With any luck however, they'll be more empowered than I was and am. I can't wait to see that.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment