Saturday, January 31, 2015

I Am Not A Surgeon But...

I am sure I can correct your heart problem. I haven't had any training, I know nothing about sanitizing surgical tools, or if something goes wrong, but I've seen E.R. I'm sure I can figure it out.

I'm not an electrician, but I'm sure I can install your lights. I mean, I have no idea how wiring works or how to make sure circuits don't overload, but it's just cutting holes in the wall and plugging things in, right?

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm sure I can fix your car. I mean, how hard can it be to swap an exhaust system on a 2013 VW Jetta?

This is what our problem is. We think it doesn't matter that we don't have training. We think as individuals we can do anything. But WE CAN'T. How can you possibly know what the right thing is when you do not have any knowledge of the subject? How can you possibly know what the right thing is when you have no firsthand experience?

Training matters. Knowledge matters. Recognizing that you don't know what the hell you're talking about is important. I'm sorry but I don't want some random person I picked up from a pub working on my teeth. I'm sorry but I don't want some random person who has no understanding of construction building my house. I'm sorry but I do not want someone who does not believe in SCIENCE making decisions ABOUT SCIENCE! I'm sorry but I don't want a man making decisions about WOMEN'S BODIES. I'm sorry but I don't want people who send their kids to private schools making decisions about PUBLIC SCHOOLS. I don't want rich people, who were born rich, making decisions about SOCIAL SAFETY NETS.

That is just stupid. It is just crazy.

Training matters. Knowledge matters. Ask the experts what they think - the people with years of training, specialized skills, and experience. Then make decisions. Doing anything else, and we're no better than monkeys playing "human."

No comments:

Post a Comment