Monday, June 15, 2015

It's THRIVE LAUNCH DAY! A.K.A. Labor of Love


*Blinks*

I can't believe I made it. Here.

And yet, I feel like this is such a false, utterly arbitrary marker. It kind of feels like I planted a post months ago on this path, got here, and realized the path continues up a mountain, or down, or through a pass, or...

You fill in the blank.

For my writer friends, you may experience this anti-climatic moment in marketing. The truth is, THRIVE's launch is far from over. It is...well...forever. Until I die, really. I have the beginning of a second volume on THRIVE (at least the kernel of an idea), but that isn't what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about talking. About sharing. About continuing to reach out to readers, victims, acquaintances, random strangers, organizations, schools, clubs, religious groups, conferences, and companies. This is a message that, while contained in my tiny narrative, is bigger than me. It is important. It is important to all people because fundamentally it is an approach to life.

Around my 20th birthday, I did a small speaking tour in upstate New York about a mission experience (you can read about some of it in THRIVE in Chapter 6: Fear and Death). The big message I shared with church officials, clergy, and Christian youth, was love.

Love.

Compassion.

And ultimately, this is the central message of THRIVE. It isn't quite the same message of that speaking tour, that was the golden rule - love others as you love yourself.

No. THRIVE's message is even more basic, if that is possible. It is - love yourself.

That's the thing. All the lessons, all the perspectives, all that stuff comes down to accepting yourself. If you can't do that, if you can't love yourself, you can't heal. If you can't love yourself, you won't treat others well. If you don't love yourself, you will live in a pit of despair when confronted by trauma or suffering.

These are the two messages of my heart. Every person has messages they are meant to pass on. And mine is love. Love. LOVE!

People may think these are overdone. Said too much. But they can never be said enough. They are so simple, so essential to every action, they are easy to forget. People lose track of these ALL THE TIME! So I'm here, put on this earth, to remind you. Despite everything - despite every hurt you experience - despite every evil act and experience - do not stop loving.

And when you forget, when it gets hard, read a book to help you. Read THRIVE. True superheroes love. They love despite. That is their gift and blessing. Be a gift. Be a blessing. Be a superhero, thrive, and love.

****************************
Ebook versions of THRIVE: HOW I BECAME A SUPERHERO and the journal guide, TRANSFORM TO THRIVE: 32 DAYS FROM VICTIM TO SUPERHERO are on sale today June 15, for a little while longer! 

Or get the paperback of the memoir and journal for that traditional paper feel! ;-) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment