Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Bio-Crack" Breakfast of Champions

Last night we averted disaster in our kitchen. We had an oil fire, which we put out, and filled our apartment up with smoke.  Even though we cleaned the kitchen thoroughly, I am dusting and going through the house finding pieces of ash everywhere.  I imagine this is similar to what happens when there is an outdoor fire (having never lived through one myself).

Last night the place smelled awful, even after all the fans and windows had been moved or opened in such a way to create maximum airflow. I took a decongestant so I would be able to sleep.  We woke up late this morning, and I knew I was going to need a little pick-me-up.  Normally my breakfast ritual involves some kind of hot drink with lots of caffeine.  I have tried lesser drinks, but always I return to a stiff black tea or a French roast.  This morning was different.  I chose instead to abstain from caffeine and go for something a little more intense, though many might say it is less.

Protein shakes are the health drink of the day.  Any trainer (especially for men) is going to tell you to drink them to "reshape" your body, overcome muscle fatigue, and any number of other things.  Thanks to South Beach, that is even more so because everyone is into a high protein diet which supposedly jumps starts weight loss. 

I have two giant tubs of whey powder, one vanilla and the other chocolate.  I use them to supplement homemade smoothies (usually adding some flax) which generally have a lot of fruit in them.  My personal favorite is a mixed berry.  The chocolate whey powder doesn't really go very well with the fruit... so how could I use it? I decided to have that for snacks and things.  It wasn't until the last couple days I realized a whole new dimension of chocolate whey powder.

Almonds are likewise the nut of the gods at the moment.  Research has shown all kinds of health benefits from eating almonds (though just as many more are claimed).

So why couldn't I mix chocolate whey powder with almonds? I decided to experiment.  The result was this recipe:

1 scoop chocolate whey powder
2 spoonfuls of raw almond butter (any would likely work)
2 spoonfuls of plain yogurt
1 spoon of malt (optional, for flavor)
5 regular icecubes
1-2 cups milk (depending how watery you like)

Put all this in a blender, blend for 30 seconds (or until smooth) and prepare for deliciousness! Yum!!

The downside (or plus side depending on how you look at it) to this type of breakfast is you might be crazily energized (read: bouncing off the walls) for several hours.  If you are prepared for that (and whoever you live with is also) then get to it!

But speaking as a caffeine addict, honestly, you will still need that as well so maybe put the kettle on to be safe. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment