Monday, September 6, 2010

Work It Out

I'm listening to Miche Fambro after working out this morning. It's kind chill, jazzy, generally good to listen to on a lazy holiday like Labor Day. *grin*

I was thinking this morning as I was doing my reverse crunches and lateral bends of how much work I really need to do.  Weight gain - it is one of those things women tend to do during certain specified periods of their lives.  Some girls get the Freshman 15.  I never did.  I lost weight when I went to college, mostly because I walked constantly, danced frequently, and was in charge of my food intake entirely.

Some women gain weight after college, once they start dating a guy and they're in a serious relationship.  I didn't.  I stayed the same as I dated different people and even through out my husband's courtship.  In fact, the few months leading up to our wedding I was the strongest I had been up until that point.


Some women gain weight after they're married.  That's where I am now.  I don't actually think it was the marriage part that caused me to gain weight.  I think it was the forced inactivity of Phoenix that caused the major problem.  I went from walking everywhere to staying anywhere that was air conditioned and working an office job (which of course didn't help).  At the tail end of our time in Phoenix I began working out again and forcing myself to do cardio exercise.  It did have some impact.  Granted it was a small one on the fat loss, but it was a big one on the strength.  My upper body is still the strongest it's been.  It just keeps on going... once upon a time push-ups were an impossibility truth be told.  Now they're a thing done in double digits. Strength training however, can only get you so far.

Thank GOD we moved back to California where everyone is outside all the time working on their fitness.  It's not actually them working on their fitness, Californians just live outside. Everything is done outside, the weather is nice, there's no excuse to be inside all day everyday. Of course there are the occasional pasty computer nerds allergic to sunlight who can be found predominantly in Silicon Valley, but for the most part, even people who would have hid inside in other climes, come outside to enjoy the water, mountains, and sunshine.

There are two places Christian and I like to go hiking/walking near our house.  One is Lake Chabot (5 minutes drive) and the other is the San Leandro Marina (about 8 minutes drive).  There isn't any excuse to get active while living here.  Again, thank GOD!  Needless to say the pounds are shedding and the muscles are denser.  All I have to say is, let there be bio-crack and we're good.

2 comments: