Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Live like me?

We recently canceled our cable.  This meant I had to temporarily give up my Ghost Whisperer addiction.  This was both good and bad.  It was good because I needed to do something else with my days.  It was bad because I had to give it up and I didn't get to watch the entire show.  When I get into something, I have to do it whole enchilada.  For example, when I get into a book series, I have to read them all, immediately.  It means I don't sleep very much.  Needless to say, I definitely had withdrawal symptoms. Sad, I know, but everyone has their addictions.

In place of cable, we subscribed to Netflix.  The unfortunate thing about Netflix is it isn't particularly Ubuntu friendly, so you can't watch things instantly on it.  Instead I have to log into my ghost OS, Windows 7 starter for netbooks so I can watch things instantly.  This is slightly inconvenient, mostly because I am technologically retarded. It requires me to choose something in the BIOS and I can't figure out how to access my Ubuntu files from Windows 7.  See, I like to watch and write simultaneously.  I jump back and forth.  When I hit a wall, I watch something for a little while and then return to my written word. 

Well, after rating several hundred movies and TV shows, Netflix gave me some suggestions.  I decided to log into my Windows OS and check out some of the suggested instant play options.  This is how I found my new temporary addiction, well at least until I finish seasons one, two and the associated movie - Dead Like Me.  The series got me thinking about how I live my own life.  The main character is undead, and she spends her time thinking about the things she would have changed during her short life in between her mundane office job and her grim reaping.  It got me thinking about a number of different things that I've done in my life.  At the moment, it feels like life is a bit on hold.  I did need a break of a month or so from work.  My last job sucked major wang.  I hated it.  I hated the people in charge.  The company was horrible.  It made me want to bang my head against the wall over and over again.  There were many reasons for this, but mostly, it was because my soul was sucked out of my body. 

Needless to say, I required some down time in between positions.  It meant this break was very much appreciated, but now I feel a bit like I'm stewing in my own juices if you catch my drift.  It seems like life needs to pick up again.  How does one just pick up life?  Should you volunteer? Start a business? Join a Meetup group and hope it actually works out? I just don't know.  Normally I leave this kind of thing up to chance.  How long does chance typically take? I don't know, but I do know that it usually takes 2 years for a place to really feel like home.  Maybe then I'll feel like my life is back on the fast track.  Nudges earlier than that would definitely help.  Maybe I should sit in a local coffee house and talk to anyone who looks interesting.  Maybe I could just start by leaving the apartment more regularly.  Cross your fingers for good incentives!  I'd like to live a bit more, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment