Monday, November 8, 2010

Bringing Out My Inner Extrovert!

Writing, necessarily, is a  solitary and isolating activity.  I can't imagine an extreme extrovert getting their kicks from writing.  As it is, I've become a fairly big introvert in the last few months, completely isolated in my small apartment with only the occasional event to draw me out and my cat, Java, for company.  Recently, this has begun to change.

Like all changes, it is a little jarring.  When I say a little, frankly it is a shock to my introverted system.  The result is I begin to act like I've not had my caffeine that day, except instead of coffee or Diet Coke, it was my alone time.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my husband, and I love my friends.  I really enjoy hanging out with them.  I just happen to need my space every so often in order to be right.  Imagine an old guy needing his prune juice, or a hypoglycemic needing a banana.

I should also let you know, that I do need time with people.  I go crazy if I don't.  But my people time doesn't need to be super intense.  Literally going outside and strangers passing me on the sidewalk is enough people time for me to feel like I've gotten a dose that day.  It is not as satisfying as hanging out with an awesome friend, but it is enough. It will get me through.  It allows me to be introspective and observe, which is one of my favorite things to do, and being a writer, it has graduated to more of a professional interest.

So this weekend when I hung out with more people in a three day period than I had for more than a month, it was shocking.  Simultaneously it was helpful.  Even though I write and I have kept myself locked up in my apartment, this is not really a way to live for any length of time.  In fact, I would go so far as to say it's a bit odd, and not in a good way.  I've gotten over my awful job in Phoenix that made me want to run away from the state of Arizona waving my hands and screaming.  I've gotten over moving.  Supposedly I have a job (or two, or three).  It's time to go out in the world and do something a little more!  It's time to make connections and reassert networks and friendships!  It's time to bring out my inner extrovert!

I have a feeling this is going to require some serious pain and disinterment. Great. Resurrection for part of your personality in four easy steps!  That's the self help book I need.  Okay actually, I don't need a book.  Really, it just takes a couple other people to require I come out of my shell and a little practice.  Here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment