Tomorrow is a big day. Because it will be so busy, I thought I would put up some things today in order to get people into a Steeler spirit. My dad sent me an email that details some classic Pittsburgh culture and lingo. If you have ties to Pittsburgh then you will know what just about everything in this list is and hopefully it brings up some great memories. If you're not from Pittsburgh, then good luck figuring out what all the lingo means!
1. You didn't have a Spring "Break" in High School.
2. You walk carefully when it is "slippy" outside.
3. You often go down to the "crick."
4. You've told your children to "red up" their rooms.
5. You can remember telling your little brother/sister to stop being so "nebby."
6. You've gotten hurt by falling into a "jaggerbush".
7. Your mother or grandmother has been seen wearing a "babushka" on her
8. You've "worshed" the clothes.
9. I ask you to hand me one of those "Gum-Bands" an' you actually know what
I'm talking about.
10. You know you can't drive too fast on the back roads, because of the deer.
11. You know Beaver Valley , Turtle Crick, Mars, Slippery Rock, Greentree and
New Castle are names of towns. And you've been to most, if not all, of them.
12. A girl walks up to three of her girl friends and says, "HEY,YENZ GUYS!"
13. You hear the plural "you guyses" and don't think twice. Example: "you guyses hause is nice."
14. You know the three rivers by name and understand that "The Point" isn't just on a
15. Someone refers to "The Mon" or "The Yough", you know exactly which river they're talking about.
16. You remember the blizzard of 1993 (or 1976 or 1950 or 1939) and you remember not being able to go outside because the snow was over your head....and mom said you would have suffocated.
17. Someone starts the chant, "Here we go Still-ers!" and you join in. Always in the proper cadence, waving the appropriately colored towel.
18. Bob Prince and "There's a bug on the rug!" hold special meaning for you.
19. You've either eaten a Farkleberry Tart or know someone who has.
20. At night, you drink pop, eat hoagies, love perogies and one of your favorite
sandwiches actually has coleslaw and French fries ON it.
21. You know what a "still mill" is.
22. You expect temps in the Winter to be record-breaking cold.....and temps in the
Summer to be record-breaking hot.
23. You know what Eat 'N Park is and you frequently ate breakfast there at 2:00 AM
after the bars closed. And you made fun of people who were also there.
24. You order "dippy eggs" in a restaurant and get exactly what you wanted.
25. You spent your summers, or enjoyed a school picnic, at Luna Park, Kennywood,
West View, Sand Castle or Idlewild.
26. You've been to the Braun's Bread Plant or Story Book Forest for a school field trip.
Some went to the Heinz plant and the Isaly's plant as Cub Scouts.
27. "Chipped ham" was always in your refrigerator when you was growin'up.
28. You refuse to buy any condiments other than Heinz unless a Pittsburgh athlete's picture is on the side of the container.
29. When you call the dog or the kids you shout, "Kum-mere" and they come.
30. Franco, Roberto, and Mario don't need last names and you can recite their exploits by heart.
31. Food at a wedding reception consisted of rigatoni, stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut and
polska kielbasa. Chow down!