Saturday, July 9, 2011

Home Sweet Home? Bakersfield!?

I am moving to Bakersfield. It's true. When we compared the shop and the cost of living to other places, the offer they made to us was just so much better, we couldn't turn it down.

So here I find myself on the brink of an adventure I didn't expect I'd be having - Bakersfield. Bakersfield. Bakersfield.

For someone coming from Santa Barbara, East Bay, or even Scottsdale, Bakersfield doesn't seem very attractive.  And the reality is, it isn't. I mean, let's be honest.  The economy hit it hard. It's in the middle of corporate farms, and it's a shipping center for the central valley of California. When you go into mall bathrooms, it smells like the lovely burnt Barbie hair smell of recently enjoyed Meth.

All these things ARE true. BUT, Bakersfield is a city of over 300,000 people. There are all kinds of things to do there. I will be able to not only be financially solvent, but close to family, and find people I can be friends with.  It will happen. Definitely. It just won't be like East Bay where I walked into a pub and felt at home instantly. This is mostly because I don't wear Stetsons or embossed riding boots.  I don't listen to Country music. I didn't even know who Buck Owens was until we started looking at living in Bakersfield.


So, Monday I'll go there again, look at apartments and get ready to learn a lot more about Country music. Because it's going to happen. I don't think I could stop it, not in home sweet home Bako.

No comments:

Post a Comment