Sunday, February 3, 2013

Why Twitter Bugs (Along With All Social Media)

This is a post I have longed to write for some time. It is only now after an interesting rejection letter from an agent that I was finally motivated to do it (it feels like I'm trying to be unpopular these days...sigh...but work with me).

The rejection was fine. I'm not mad about that at all. I even understand this agent's reasoning. He didn't want to work with a new writer who didn't already have a huge following in social media. He didn't want to gamble. I get that.

Of course, the whole reason why I'm after an agent is because I'm terrible at this whole sell-yourself-thing. I want someone else to do it for me so I can focus on the thing I *am* good at - you know, *writing.*

So once again, I thought about all the reasons I struggle with social media and why I have come to my current decisions about it and independent publishing. Let me give you the run-down:

1. Most of the stuff on social media is just self-aggrandizing advertising. It is time consuming and frustrating to sort through all the muck to find the few interesting articles and comments. This leads me to look at websites like Twitter and Facebook *only * when I am extremely bored. Needless to say, this means rarely. I'd much rather read random journal articles than sort through fluff. When I have something witty to say or someone has said something interesting only seconds before, then I will post. Otherwise...forget it.

2. I have never been much for technology. As I have explained in previous posts, I can break toaster ovens. My phone regularly does things that my technopath hubby cannot explain. Spending hours on websites that yield little psychic reward (see above) when I might crash my phone or computer just to do so (and therefore turn into a female Hulk which can be ugly) is not my idea of a good time. Believe me when I say, *everyone* loses.

3. I am sort of manic. Or artsy. Or flaky. I have trouble consistently posting on anything and everything. I get feeling anxious and so I will avoid doing it - even on phones (ironic considering I've worked in many call centers). I will purposely avoid my computer in order to avoid corresponding with people. I get anxious when I've let something go for a while...which leads me to avoidance...which leads me to feeling guilty...which leads to more avoidance (Note: I'm working on this cluster, but it's an uphill battle. Thus the manic modes when I post ridiculous amounts...).

4. I like real life but I am incredibly obsessive - stupidly obsessive. When I get swallowed by something, it is complete. Because I know this about myself, I try to avoid (ha!) letting it happen whenever I can. If I got really involved in social media, I would (and have before) retreat(ed) from real life. I'm reclusive enough as it is. I need to get out of the house and soak up vitamin D, not worry about how many people have viewed my blog or followed my fan page.

All this is to say, I am not the cyber wonder child many agents dream of having. I know it might help. It might make me more attractive. Obviously those agents aren't a good match for me. I'm looking for someone who is willing to take a chance on a new writer who has plans and substantial portions of over 8 books in the works (I know...I know. They *will* be finished. Never fear! Artsy, remember?). I'm looking for someone who can see through my little mistakes and appreciate my obscure references and research.

Because frankly, I want to write...not waste my time wading through penny stock recommendations and people advertising themselves without saying anything else of substance. It's just not my bag. If it's yours, enjoy. I'll stick to my green silk Tibetan drawstring with my writing and my research.

There. I feel so much better now.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment