Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Minimalist Motherhood: Why Nurseries Are Pointless

Whenever people think of getting ready for a new baby, nurseries come to mind. The funny thing is, nurseries are completely pointless, unless you're a masochist and also hate babies.

Let me explain.

Babies don't need a room. They can't even focus their eyes. They need to eat every couple hours and poop themselves constantly. When they don't eat upon waking, they fuss. If left long enough, they cry. If you don't clean their butts soon enough, they get a rash which...(you guessed it!) can lead to crying.

All this means if you put a baby in a separate room at night, you're going to be getting up and down a lot more with a whole lot less sleeping than if you had the baby co-sleep in the bedroom with you. Less sleep means more zombie. More zombie means you will be cranky and less able to deal with the demands of your new eating and pooping machine. This is why having a nursery is a kind of excessive hate-filled endeavor. However this doesn't even touch the ridiculous amount of money spent on furniture that will not be used after the baby's second year.

Yes, babies are an additional expense, but they don't have to break the bank. They don't need a lot of space. They need diapers, cloths, a place to sleep, and food. If you're breastfeeding (as 99% of women should at least try to do) one of these things is built in. So why spend 1000s on a matching changing table, crib, dresser, and rocking chair (not to mention bouncy seat and swing)?

It's a gimmick. A sham. It's something big companies in Western society want you to feel like you need so you spend thousands of dollars to feel like you're good parents.

I'm not falling for it.

Of course, I can't. I don't have the space. But even if I did, I don't know what I would do with it. Having a separate place for baby clothes would be nice, but a changing table? A huge crazy crib? Cutesy pastel curtains that match cutsey pastel crib sheets? Bleh! It doesn't appeal at all.

I'd rather spend that money on something kiddo wants, like when s/he is 3 or 4 and has preferences for a room. Then we could paint a wall mural just for them. We could have bunk beds and fun collapsible cloth play spaces to create a special and wonderous space. Personally, I don't remember a nursery. I do remember the room I had as a toddler, and I remember loving it. That seems like a much better use of resources.

While I don't have the luxury of hiding my child and hating myself, many people do. I'd urge you to reconsider indulging in such a luxury. I think a happier baby and more sleep is a better choice.

1 comment:

  1. I happened across this blog while googling "nurseries are pointless." Totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete