Thursday, June 6, 2013

Author Q & A: Lilith and Ammon

This will be included in my media kit. However, as I was writing it, I thought you might be interested in reading my answers to these questions. Enjoy!

Where did you get the idea for this book?
LILITH AND AMMON is both a prequel and the third book of the KHLOE ALWELL SERIES. As such, it is a combination of a myth from THE BROTHERS and the legend surrounding the main conflict of the Otherworld. When I first wrote THE BROTHERS, I didn't realize how important Lilith's story would be to Khloe, the main character of the series. However as I wrote the second book, LOVERS AND RIVALS, I realized the reader needed to know Lilith's story, and understand exactly why the Otherworld was split into two factions – Seelie and Sidhe. Could you understand the series without it? Probably, but you'd miss some really interesting and important insights into the characters in Khloe's time.
What traits and other tidbits do you share with your main character?
I definitely see myself in Khloe, the main character of the series, but I actually see myself less in Lilith. Lilith is a person who refuses to see what is right in front of her because it makes her feel so uncomfortable. She is scared of change, and that isn't me at all! Lilith does however make impetuous decisions – something I'm known for doing. Then when she does finally come to accept her relationship with Ammon, she works really hard to bring people together and resolve conflict, a theme throughout the Khloe series and something very close to my heart.
Did any of your inspiration for this book originate in your real life experiences?
My inspiration for this book came more from my love of mythology and creation stories. Myths hold truths for people, even in metaphor. I enjoyed tying a number of myths into Lilith and Ammon's story, including some irreverent Biblical references. As to the complicated social structure in this book, it is less like my life and more like daytime television!
What made you decide to self-publish?
I don't like the idea of having to subject myself to the capricious rules of the publishing industry. Though it would be nice to have someone else do the marketing and editing etc, the price to do so seems high. Also, I like the immediacy of self-publishing. Yes, producing a book takes time, however it takes less time when I only have to rely on myself rather than a series of corporate approvals.
Are there any specific authors whose writing styles or subject matter inspired your book?
Again, this book draws heavily from mythology. I would say the most influential books for this series as a whole are THE SEVENWATERS SERIES and THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS. Marillier and Clare have interesting voices that I find enjoyable for different reasons. I often find myself somewhere between them.
Do you have another project in the works? If so, what is it?
The real question is, when don't I have another project! This series has one more book to complete Khloe's saga (which I hope to publish in 2014). Meanwhile I'm working on another young adult series, THE ROLLINS PACK, which focuses on some other themes near and dear to my heart (gender and family). That series uses my favorite of the paranormal creatures – werewolves. I also have a couple of adult stand-alone novels that are partially finished which I'd like to complete in 2014 (think: mutants and angels, but not together!). On top of that, I have several non-fiction projects I'm developing, based on my professional experiences as well as growing up in a very religious family. It's a lot, I know, but I can't seem to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment