Monday, August 10, 2015

How to be an Indie Author: Final Thoughts

There is a lot to writing a book. There is a lot to publishing it, whether you go the traditional route or decide to go indie.

I hope that over the course of my indie author series you were able to gain some insights to the process and learned a little bit about what it takes, where mistakes can happen, and how to do better. Ultimately that is the goal.

It takes time to be successful in these things. It's been five years since I started down this path, and despite spending hours daily on writing, publishing, marketing, and researching, there is so much more I could know. There are so many more things I have to try, to work on, to evolve. The list is endless. And I question my decisions often, not necessarily out of doubt, but because I want to confirm they are still the right path for increasing success.

As you move forward in your writing career, remember these lessons that I learned the hard way:
  1. Sometimes you just have to do it. Even if it's shitty. Even if it's messy. Sometimes you just need to do it to prove to yourself you can.
  2. Yes, there are some really famous authors who are actually hacks. There are some no-names who are God's gift to literature. Ability has nothing to do with success.
  3. Re-evaluate often. You'll thank yourself. It helps guarantee your improvement.
  4. If you give up, you will not succeed.
  5. If writing brings you joy, just effing do it. Who cares?
  6. Everyone has an opinion and at some point, one of them will hurt. Bad.
  7. Find your ideal fan and give them what they want.
  8. Forgive yourself when you screw up. It's okay. You can always rework. You can always improve.
  9. Any review is better than none (haters are good.).
  10. Even if no one values your work, I do - because you're doing it. And that's awesome. It takes a lot of effort and resources and discipline to pull off a manuscript. Drink a beer (or tea - whatever!). You deserve it. And message me. Let's talk writing and publishing.
I'm serious. Message me. Tweet me. Facebook something. I love talking about writing and publishing. It's a lonely road and we authors need to stick together.

If you missed any of the posts in this series, bookmark this round-up of HOW TO BE AN INDIE AUTHOR:
  1. Beginning 
  2. Process
  3. Editing
  4. Formatting
  5. Publishing Ebooks
  6. Publishing Print
  7. 44 Marketing Tactics
I wish you much love and success on your writing journey. And do keep me posted. I want to know how things work out for you. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment