Friday, February 25, 2011

Good Genes - There's No Substitute

You know how when you're little people will tell you that you can do whatever you want, be whoever you want to be? They lied.  Remember how people told you we're all equal? They lied about that too.  There is one thing, beyond wealth and social standing - other things that you have only a modicum of control over - that determines more about your experience on this world than any other.  Genes.  Your genetics are key.  I know this more than ever after my dentist appointment today.

I'm almost 30.  I've NEVER had a cavity.  I have no bone loss in my mouth.  My teeth have always been straight.  It's true that I had surgery to correct TMJ.  I also had my wisdom teeth removed. Still, I feel like I got the better end of the bargain as far as quality of life goes. 

Healthy teeth are a marker.  They are a visual cue to overall health.  Whenever people talk about attractiveness, health markers are key.  Symmetry, healthy skin, straight white teeth, bright eyes, thick shiny hair, and a well proportioned medium frame are ideal.  When you have all of these things, you've hit the genetic lottery.  There are few people that have the ideal of all of these things, and it is more likely that you will find people who are using modern medicine to lie about their markers.  I am thinking of teeth whitening, Botox, and of course, plastic surgery

The thing is, people always know.  You can't hide your age or your health.  It comes through.  It's clear when someone's breasts are too big for their frame, their face doesn't match their elbows' wrinkles, or their teeth glow in the dark. You simply can't lie, at least, not to anyone who is worth impressing.  It's better to just be yourself and use your charms to your advantage.  There is something elegant and lovely about a person who embraces themselves for who they are. 

So, do I hate that I break out with any environmental change? Yes.  Totally.  Do I love that my mother gave me some amazing genes that express themselves in crucial health markers? Yes, ABSOLUTELY.  Love you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment