Saturday, May 19, 2012

Acknowledging My Investment - Ode to a Graduate Degree

I'm sitting in Santa Barbara at a conference. It's at my old graduate program, and I thought I wouldn't get very much from this time. Frankly, I wasn't sure I wanted to come because I was a little embarassed by my life choices.

That was ridiculous.

I am more convinced now than ever that I am doing the right thing. Regardless of how my books are received or interpretted, they have a message and they are my passion. I could not live without writing. It is a painful cross to bare, as many writers will confess. Doing something that is not a traditional career path and tends to yield few monetary rewards at the beginning is a difficult thing. To create something and submit it to the world for judgement is a painful and stressful process. It is a part of myself which I lay bare, and suffer when it comes under fire. Yet, I still do it because it is my passion and my calling.

It is true my degree didn't specifically prepare me to write fiction, however it did enrich my understanding of the world, and therefore helped me to produce the work I have. It gave me the discipline and persistence to continue, and for that I am eternally grateful.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment