Sunday, May 13, 2012

Calling the Kettle Black - When Bloggers Don't Edit

I don't know how many times I have seen this, but I have to say something. For some reason, some writers and readers who blog about writing forget to revise their blog posts. For some strange reason they think it is perfectly acceptable to critique others' writing while not inspecting their own.

Do not misunderstand me. I know I make errors. Everyone misses something sometimes. It does happen. However, to make multiple errors of the same type in a single blog post while advising writers on revising or style is offensive and hypocritical.

Perhaps this flaw has developed because of social networking and texts. Sending a tweet is very different than writing any kind of prose. Transferring tweeting habits to a blog or an article is unacceptable. Frankly, anyone trained in media literacy will not take a person writing this way seriously. I can't.

If a person writes as though texting or tweeting, that is grounds for me to ignore anything they say. This is regardless of merit. If however, I read the same information written in standard English, I would react differently.

Therefore, if you are a person who wants to advise writers, please revise your work. Please write like you know what you're talking about. If you don't want to take the time to do that, then don't imagine anyone serious will take the time with you.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment