Thursday, March 21, 2013

Camping with a Snoogle

When we made the reservation for the campsite, I figured it would be early enough that it wouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't be intensely uncomfortable like I had in the first trimester and I wouldn't be waddling and huge (as I will in the third).

I forgot a few variables.

First is the issue of food. I snack frequently. If I don't, bad things happen. Sometimes I just get really snappy and mean. Other times I will break down crying. And of course, there's always the messiest option of immediate regurgitation if I was hungry enough. Yuck.

I'm not sure how I'll deal with not having meat and dairy on a near constant basis for a couple days. I hope peanut butter can be a reasonable substitute, but that remains to be seen. All I can say is Christian is a brave man.

The second issue is sleep. My joints have been achey for some time. When I sleep on my side (which is basically the safest way to sleep - or so they tell me) my hips get sore. They can get so uncomfortable it feels like someone actually stabbed me in the hip. So I turn over. Usually it's one at a time, but sometimes it's both. The only remedy is to sit up or walk around. Needless to say, my sleep is punctuated at best, and nonexistent at worst.

So I bought a Snoogle. Snoogles are a crazy patented shape body pillow that cost a stupid amount (unless you go to Burlington Coat Factory). They are also a gift from GOD. I say this because while nothing can completely eradicate the aching in my hips (though I haven't tried acupressure which sounds like a good idea), this crazy pillow comes pretty close.

Obviously I'm taking my Snoogle with me camping. While it will do nothing to mitigate the sorry sleeping mat under me, it will at least keep my joints aligned.

You see how all this could be a dangerous combination... I think Christian may be taking his life into his hands. And the guy is such a sweetie! And while many couples end up sleeping in separate rooms or having possessions destroyed by wrath during pregnancy, we've been remarkably blessed. I attribute this to Christian's easy-going attitude, our combined senses of humor, and my ability to recognize when I'm being ridiculous and apologizing.

I hope that will be enough this coming week. *gulp*

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment