Monday, October 22, 2012

Back to Writing About Reproductive Rights

ACK! Because of Christian's current project, I lost the use of my laptop for several days. This meant no blogging and no writing. I'm about a week behind on everything and it's driving me crazy!

Thankfully I now have my laptop back and can return to my previous pace. Thank the lord.

This is particularly encouraging considering the current political situation. As much as I would like the election to be about the economy, many have brought women's issues to the forefront of the debate.

I don't know how much more of this idiocy I can stand. I feel my focus on reproductive rights - particularly in JEREMIAH and my short stories - is even more poignant. More than ever I feel it's important to get these pieces published.

I'll be 30 a week after the election. I'm in the middle of my childbearing years. While I don't have any children yet, I do want some eventually. When and how that happens is something I want to determine and discuss with my husband and my health care providers. Whenever I read about old white men making decisions for my body it freaks me out. How can they possibly know what will be best for me?! They don't know me! They're not even female!

I won't talk about how abortion and stem cell research should continue to be legal if certain methods of in vitro fertilization are. I won't talk about how access to contraception and education makes the difference in unwanted pregnancies. I'm sure that someone who doesn't have direct experience in these matters but is only concerned with manipulating certain voting groups will definitely make the right decisions when it comes to my health.

Yeah.

Totally.


No comments:

Post a Comment