Saturday, May 11, 2013

SUMMER WRITING CHALLENGE: Day 4: FIRST FINISH!

I did what I didn't think I would do. I finished the first book. BELOW THE BELT rounded out at 74,660. This number left me below my daily word count goal, however I did finish the first draft of the book, and surprisingly left it open to a possible sequel (or set of sequels if I so choose at another time).

I will have to go back and rewrite, proof, and edit. There are some plot points in the second half that I just wrote which will need to be tied more solidly to the beginning, and vice versa. Still, I feel pretty good. In only 4 days of my writing challenge, I finished the first draft of a book.

Now the question is, do I want to work on another of my fiction manuscripts next, or do I want to try my hand at finishing one of the non-fiction? The book I need to finish desperately is LILITH AND AMMON, part of the Khloe series. However, I will need to reread what I've written to make sure I'm not repeating myself etc (as well as getting the chapter perspective order correct - one of the more complicated parts of the novel). This process might work well during a non-fiction project. I think that's what I'll do. Whenever I need a break from the non-fiction project, I'll read LILITH.

I expect I'll be able to finish the first non-fiction project in a few days. If I'm meticulous about reading (and I do read fast, even when I'm proofing or editing) I should be able to pick up LILITH AND AMMON right after I finish the non-fiction project.

Phew. Sounds crazy. Feels awesome. I'm really excited. I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment