Monday, May 25, 2015

THRIVE Book Launch Week 9: Why Everyone Needs This Book

Despite suffering, I thrive.
THRIVE is radically different from anything I've written thus far. It is memoir - and a highly personal, highly revealing memoir at that. I share things about myself in THRIVE that I have not shared to any single person, with one exception.

Christian is the one person who knew the whole story - every detail and emotional reaction.

My friends and family knew pieces, but not everything. They learned everything the first time they read the book.

And it is not an easy read. It is painful. It was painful to write. Up until this point, I have hinted but not stated explicitly. Here I will explain why. The following is just a taste of the contents of THRIVE:

  • I was molested as a toddler by an older boy.
  • I suffered overt misogyny and abuse at the hands of boys while growing up, even as I suffered silently with the aftereffects of my molestation.
  • I was so ill in a third world country, I brushed death.
  • I suffered every kind of attack a woman can suffer - stalking, following at night, verbal, emotional, and physical abuse. I was also raped by a friend in college.
  • I lived in possibly the worst apartment in the developed world, which was sold to Christian and I as a reasonable place to start married life (think: no AC in a bombed out section of Phoenix and you begin to get the picture).
  • I was unemployed for more of my adult life than not, including a time when multiple student loans were coming due.
  • I suffered homelessness right after giving birth to my son, and struggling to accept unrealized expectations - the American Dream was my American Nightmare.
This is not everything. This is just a peek at what THRIVE contains. The book is graphic. It is not an easy read. And yet... I lived through these things and more (for details, you need to get a copy). You would never know it if I didn't tell you.

I have done so much more with my life. I am so much more than the difficulties I've experienced. And that is what this book is about. It is about using these difficult things - taking the bad and ugly, along with the good, and becoming more than before.

That is why I wrote the book. I chose to reveal these difficult, painful things, because I could not stand one more person getting blamed for their suffering. I could not stand to sit by, watching people around me not understanding the depths of pain that any person might experience, despite their station in life. I couldn't stand watching others ruined by difficulties. How could I let someone else struggle longer than they needed to when I could show them a way to not only manage, but harness their suffering? How could I stand by when I had strategies and tools at my disposal that could make a difference in the lives of individuals and their communities?

I couldn't. I couldn't any longer. I want my legacy to be something my son can take pride in - that will be a force for positive change in the world. To do that, I had to lay myself bare. I made myself vulnerable. And I know my life flies in the face of what many people think is reality. Which is exactly why I had to write THRIVE - because people have to know. Everyone needs to understand what is possible - both the levels of hidden suffering, and the potential power gained through such experience.

So please, for yourself, for your community, for your friends who have not yet broken their silence - read this book. It will open your eyes.

*********************************
LAUNCH UPDATE

Last week was big for me. I got a lot of big things accomplished.

  • Published THRIVE in paperback.
  • Published TRANSFORM TO THRIVE in paperback.
  • Updated my author website.
  • Finished revamped covers of Books 1-3 in KHLOE ALWELL series.
  • Drew cover drawing for Book 4 in KHLOE.
  • Finished coverart for Book 4.
  • Published 2nd edition of THE BROTHERS on Smashwords.
  • Published 2nd edition of LOVERS AND RIVALS on Smashwords.
  • Blogged.
  • Uploaded link to Patreon.
  • Got 75% revamp of LILITH done.
  • Pitched articles related to THRIVE to 2 different sites.
  • Wrote and submitted guest post to a blog, set to go live in early July.
  • Researched possibilities for audio books.
This week I would like to:
  • Submit some more posts related to THRIVE
  • Confirm when I need to follow up with people/media about pitches being accepted.
  • Finish LILITH revamp and publish 2nd edition.
  • Publish 2nd edition of KHLOE books to Amazon.
  • Review potential publicist relationship.
  • Pitch a guest post about women in fantasy.
  • Get social media campaign figured out.
  • Time to get videos done...about THRIVE?
  • Blog
  • Patreon
I hope this is another big week. I had a bit of down time over the weekend, and now I'm ready to jump back into the fray. I'm anxious to dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment