Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Normal Is Good

Well, normal is especially good when we're talking about health. This is especially true when talking about babies.

One of the things I've learned is that fear of the abnormal.

There are 2 kinds of abnormal - livable and unlivable. Livable is something like not having all 10 fingers or missing a limb. Unlivable is of course, something that no woman ever wants to hear when talking about their child. This could be anything from an obscure genetic disease to having organs form outside the body, to having essential organs not form at all.

I shudder at the thought.

However when I walked back to the ultrasound room, I was only a little nervous. I had already resigned myself to take whatever happened head on. But then once the wand was on my belly and I saw our baby on the screen, I could see all four limbs. I could see the umbilical cord and nothing else was outside the abdomen. The head was a good and expected shape. The heart beat at a normal healthy rate.

I couldn't have been happier to hear and see that my baby was normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment